Rights and Responsibilities
As part of your tenancy, we will draw up an agreement which you have to sign, which fully outlines your rights and responsibilities. Almost all of our tenants have a Scottish secure tenancy agreement (PDF), a type of tenancy which was created by the Housing (Scotland) Act 2001.
Your rights include:
- you can have a joint tenancy, as long as you get written permission from your Area Housing Officer
- you can assign (transfer) or sublet your house with our permission
- you can get certain urgent repairs done quickly and at no cost to you under the ‘right to repair’ scheme
- you can carry out improvements to your home, with our permission
- you can apply for a transfer, or exchange your property with another council tenant, with written permission from your Area Housing Officer
Your responsibilities include:
- use of the property as your main home
- telling us if you have a change in circumstances, or the people living in your house changes
We have a set of standards which we keep to, to provide you with a clean and safe property. Read more about our letting standard (PDF).
Housing and Property