Council Tenants - Subletting Your Home

A sublet is when you want to let all or part of your house to someone else on a temporary basis. You may want to do this if you need to go away for a period of time, due to work or family commitments, or long-term travel plans.

If you have a Scottish secure tenancy, or a short Scottish secure tenancy, you have the right to sublet your home, but only if you have our written permission. If you do not let us know, you may lose your tenancy rights.

Housing (Scotland) Act 2014

On 1 November 2019 the Housing (Scotland) Act 2014 will come into effect and will introduce significant changes to the rights tenants have under the terms of their tenancy agreement. The Act will change some of the rules around when you can apply to sublet all or part of your home. These rules are as follows:

  • you must have been a tenant of the house for 12 months immediately before you apply for written permission to sublet your home; or
  • if you were not the tenant throughout the whole of that period, the house must have been your only or main home during those 12 months. The 12 month period starts on the date we are told that you are a member of the household. 

You can tell us about changes to your household by filling in our Census and Equalities form.

Applying to sublet your home

You can apply to sublet your home (PDF) and we will send you our written decision within 28 days of receiving your application.

We will consider a number of things when looking at your application, including the length of sublet and the amount of rent you will be charging the sub-tenant.

If you sublet, you will still be our tenant and have responsibility for meeting the conditions of the tenancy agreement, including paying the rent. If you decide that you no longer want to sublet your home, you should ask the tenant to leave and either return to the home yourself, or end your tenancy.

View our leaflet on subletting  your home (PDF).

Contact Us

Housing and Property

Rate this Page