Assigning Your Tenancy

Assigning your tenancy is when you pass on your tenancy and your tenancy rights to another person, known as the assignee. Anyone with a Scottish secure tenancy, and who has lived in the property as their main home for at least six months, has the right to assign their tenancy. You must apply for permission using our application form (PDF).

We will need the following information if you want to assign your tenancy:

  • your details
  • the address of the property
  • the name of the person taking over the tenancy (assignee)
  • the date of the proposed assignation
  • if you are to receive any money from assigning the tenancy
  • written permission from joint tenants, if applicable

If we refuse to give consent, we must write to you within one month from receiving your request, and detail reasonable reasons for the refusal. If you wish to appeal, you have the right to do this to the Sheriff Court.

Once an assignee takes over your tenancy, they have the same legal rights and responsibilities as all council tenants. However if there any arrears at the assignation of the property, these become the responsibility of the new tenant.

Contact Us

Housing and Property

Rate this Page