Tenant Downsizing Incentive Scheme

The Downsizing Incentive Scheme aims to help Council tenants transfer to a smaller or more suitable home.  It frees up properties that are in great demand and helps house applicants on our housing list who have been assessed as having a priority for housing.  For example, those living in overcrowded housing.

What is the Downsizing Incentive Scheme?

The Downsizing Incentive Scheme is a voluntary scheme that offers practical support and financial assistance to help eligible applicants to move. Tenants and qualifying occupiers must apply for the scheme. There is no pressure to move if you don't want to.

What are the criteria?

You may qualify if you:

  • are a Moray Council tenant and you;
    • live in a three or more bedroom Council property (flat, maisonette, bungalow or house);
    • have at least one bedroom spare; and
    • want to move to a smaller property. This does not have to be the same type as your current home.


  • are a tenant or qualifying occupier who lives in an adapted property of any size and there is nobody in your household who needs the specialist features.

In addition:

  • you  must have a satisfactory tenancy report that shows that:
    • your home meets our standards;
    • we are not taking antisocial behaviour actions against you; and
    • you do not have unmanageable housing related debt;
  • your current home is in an area of demand and we can easily relet it.

What is a qualifying occupier?

You are a qualifying occupier if you live in one of our tenant's homes as your only and main home, and:

  • you are a member of the tenant's family and aged at least 16;
  • the tenant has, with our agreement, transferred the tenancy, sublet, otherwise given up possession of their home or any part of it to you; or
  • they have, with our agreement, taken you in as lodger.

For more information, please see our Qualifying Occupiers page.

How to apply for the scheme

To apply for the scheme you just need to phone us on 0300 1234566. When you contact us we will confirm some basic details about you and your home. We will also ask if you have a current housing application. You will not be able to apply for the scheme if you are not on our housing waiting list.

Practical and financial assistance

If you qualify for the scheme and there is funding left, you will get a basic payment of £1500.  In addition, we will give you a disruption payment of £400 and £400 for each bedroom that you give up. For example, if you move from a 4 bedroom house to a two bedroom house you will be entitled to:

Basic grant £1,500
Plus disruption allowance £400
Plus (£400 per bedroom given up) £800
Grant awarded £2,700

If you are accepted for the Scheme, your housing application will be awarded 500 points.  You will get unlimited offers of housing until you accept an offer of housing.

We will also offer you practical assistance to help you move. Depending on your circumstances and needs, we can help you with the following:

  • giving you information and advice about the downsizing scheme;
  • filling in forms;
  • viewings and removal arrangements;
  • arranging to disconnect/reconnect utilities etc;
  • notifying agencies of your change of address, GP Bank etc;
  • helping you to arrange and dispose of unwanted furniture; and
  • giving you information about Housing Benefit/Universal Credit, money advice and making the most of your income.

You can read more about the scheme by downloading our leaflet 'Tenant Downsizing Incentive Scheme' (PDF)

You can read an article about the tenant's experience of the downsizing scheme.

Contact Us

Housing and Property


Rate this Page