Food Premises Registration

If you are intending to set up a new food business, or are making changes to an existing food business, you should contact Environmental Health well in advance, as Officers will be able to give valuable advice on compliance with Food Safety requirements, and avoid the need for potentially expensive changes to structure, layout and practices at a later date.

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you need to be registered with us at least 28 days before commencing trading. Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans.

Some establishments handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by us or Food Standards Scotland, rather than registered. If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered, contact us.


Regulations of the European Parliament:

Regulation (EC) No 852/2004

Regulation (EC) No 853/2004

Regulation (EC) No 854/2004

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.


There are no fees for applying to register a food premises.


Contact Us

Environmental Health

Rate this Page