Data Protection

Please be advised that due to the evolving nature of the COVID-19 pandemic it will be unlikely that requests are answered within their respective statutory time-scales. The Council is working hard to ensure that resources are focused on delivering and supporting essential services. We appreciate your cooperation during this unprecedented situation.

General Information

For more information on your rights as a user of Council services to see your personal information, request that your information be updated or request that your information be deleted please see the ‘Your Personal Data Rights’ document at the bottom of the page for full information on all of your data rights.

If you need help understanding the contents of this page please inform the Data Protection Officer ( and we will provide someone to explain the contents of the information. A translation service is also available and you can ask for an advocate to assist you.

Why do we keep personal information?

Each of our privacy notices will state the precise purpose for which your personal information is being collected.

Among other things, the Council keeps personal information about you in order to:

  • provide you with the services you require
  • collect council tax and rent
  • assess the correct level of benefit for your needs
  • provide you with up to date information about these services and the most appropriate service or your needs.

What sort of information do we hold?

The personal information held will depend on the service being provided. The information that is held for a particular purpose, service, or activity will be specified in the privacy notice for that process. We will only collect the information that is required to carry out the process. This may range from basic details such as name and address, age, date of birth, sex, next of kin etc. to details of a person’s health, disabilities and racial or ethnic origin. These details will only be taken when it is necessary to do so.

Is your personal information shared with anyone outside of the Council?

Each individual privacy notice will state all the recipients of your personal information, including any third parties outside of the Council. For example, a privacy notice relating to social care services may state that your information is shared with NHS staff if this is part of carrying out the process.

Whenever personal information is shared with third parties we will only provide the bare minimum of information required.

How do we keep the information and who is responsible?

The information is kept on secure computer systems and in secure manual filing systems. Maintaining the record and keeping it secure is the responsibility of the department of the authority providing the services you receive. Where records are shared then updates will also be shared to comply with our duty to keep data up to date. All employees of the authority are required to comply with the authority’s security policy. In the case of school pupil records the responsibility is the schools’ and the individual teachers’.

Are the records confidential?

The authority’s employees have a duty of care when providing services. This includes respecting the right to confidentiality and ensuring that information about you is only used and given to others for the purposes of the service being provided.

How long are records about you held?

Normally your records will be kept for the minimum length of time required by law. If there is no legal requirement to keep the records after the service to you has ceased they will be destroyed as soon as is practicable. Examples of records that must be kept for longer include adoption records and those to do with children who have been in care.

All personal data kept by the Council is subject to a retention schedule that specifies when the data should be destroyed. A list of our retention schedules can be found here.


How do I request my information?

For full information on requesting your personal information please see the ‘Your Personal Data Rights’ document at the bottom of the page.

You are entitled to request a copy of personal information that the Council holds on you. This is called a Subject Access Request (SAR).

Please complete a Subject Access Request form and send it to:

Information Co-ordinator
Elgin Library
Cooper Park
IV30 1HS

Rate this Page