Local Authority Funerals

The Local Authority has a duty in terms of the Burial and Cremations (Scotland) Act 2016 to ensure that funeral arrangements are made for any person who has died or been found dead in their area and where no other suitable arrangements are being made. In these cases the Local Authority will look to recover all costs from the Estate of the deceased person.

Where a person has died and relatives or friends have financial difficulty in organising a funeral, assistance may be available with a funeral payment from the Social Fund.

For those who have served in the Armed Forces, Merchant Navy or the Cadet Forces specialist bereavement support, including referral to affordable funeral care, can be found at https://www.forcesonline.org.uk/veterans-directory/veterans-funerals-uk/

If you want to make a claim for a Funeral Payment you can find out more and download a claim form from the mygov.uk website or you can contact your local Jobcentre Plus office for a claim form.

For further information on bereavement the Scottish Government has produced the booklet What to do after a death in Scotland.

Contact Us

Environmental Health Section
The Moray Council
Council Office
High Street, Elgin
IV30 1BX

0300 1234561

01343 563990


Rate this Page