Riding Establishment Licence
To run a riding establishment (where horses or ponies are hired out for riding or used for riding instruction) in the Moray Area, you need a licence from us.
Applicants must be over 18 years of age and must not have been disqualified:
- from keeping a dog under the Protection of Animals (Cruelty to Dogs) Act 1933 or Protection of Animals (Cruelty to Dogs) (Scotland) Act 1934
- from keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
- from having custody of animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
- from keeping an animal boarding establishment under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963
- from a disqualification under the Animal Health Act 1981 following a conviction for deliberately infecting an animal with a disease
- from owing, keeping, dealing in or transporting animals, working with, using, riding or driving animals, providing animal services, taking possession of animals
- for any of these purposes or taking charge of animals for any other purposes under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006
Before deciding an application we must consider a report from a veterinary surgeon or practitioner detailing whether the premises are suitable for a riding establishment and detailing the conditions of the premises and any horses.
We will also take into account whether the applicant is suitable and qualified to hold a licence. We must also be satisfied of the following:
- that consideration will be given to the condition of the horses and that they will be maintained in good health, kept physically fit and where the horse is to be ridden or used during riding instruction, be suitable for that purpose
- that the animals feet will be trimmed properly and that shoes are fitted properly and are in good condition
- that there will be suitable accommodation for the horses
- that for horses maintained on grass there is suitable pasture, shelter and water and that supplementary feed will be provided as and when needed
- that horses will be provided with suitable food, drink and bedding materials and will be exercised, groomed, rested and visited at suitable intervals
- that precautions will be taken to reduce the spread of contagious or infectious
diseases and that veterinary first aid equipment and medicines will be provided and maintained
- that appropriate procedures are in place to protect and remove the horses in the case of a fire and that as part of this the name, address and telephone number of the licence holder is displayed outside the premises and fire instructions are displayed
- that storage facilities for forage, bedding, stable equipment and saddlery are provided
- a horse is defined as any mare, gelding, pony, colt, filly or stallion and any ass, mule of jennet.
In addition to any other conditions a riding establishment licence must be subject to the following conditions:
- that any horse inspected by an authorised officer and found to need veterinary attention will not be returned to work until the licence holder has obtained a veterinary certificate confirming the horse is fit for work
- that a horse will not be let out for hire or for use in instruction without the supervision of a responsible person aged 16 years or older, unless the licence holder is satisfied the rider doesn't require supervision
- that the business will not be left in the charge of someone under 16 years of age
- that the licence holder holds indemnity insurance
- that the licence holder keeps a register of all horses in their possession that are three years old or younger and that the register is available for inspection at all
Read our Guidance Notes (PDF) for more information before completing a form.
Will Tacit Consent Apply?
Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from The Moray Council by the end of the target completion period.
There will be a fee for applying and renewing this licence View our table of fees.
To apply online for a licence or to make a change to a licence please use the links in the Online Services box below.
Legal and Democratic Services