Animal Boarding Establishment Licence
To run a boarding kennel or cattery, you need a licence from us. The number of dogs and cats that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence along with other conditions.
We may authorise an officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner to inspect licensed premises and you will be responsible for any vet's fees. See our fees page for additional information.
If the licence is granted then it will automatically be subject to the following conditions, depending on the licence type:
- Animal boarding establishments for dogs - kennels (PDF)
- Animal board establishments for cats - catteries (PDF)
- Home animal boarding establishments (PDF)
The following criteria will be considered when the application is being evaluated:
- That the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation takes into account the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, facilities for exercising the animals cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation provisions.
- That suitable food, drink and bedding materials will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly.
- That steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.
- That adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies.
- That a register is kept. The register should contain a description of all animals received, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. The register should be available to be inspected at any time by a local authority officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner.
Will Tacit Consent Apply?
Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.
For information about fees please view our fees table.
You can apply, renew or make a change to your licence online by using the links in the Online Services below.
Legal and Democratic Services