Pet Shop Licence
To run a business selling pet animals you need a licence from us. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.
Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop.
We will have regard to the following when considering an application for a pet shop licence:
- that animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
- adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals
- that any mammalian animals will not be sold too young
- that steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals
- that adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place
Conditions can be attached to a licence to ensure that the above are complied with.
Will Tacit Consent Apply
Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.
We will charge a fee that you will pay online to process your application. The fee is the same whether you apply online or by post. View our table of fees.
To apply online or to make a change to your pet shop licence please use the links in the Online Services box below.
Legal and Democratic Services