Registering to Vote

To be able to vote in elections and referendums you need to be listed on the register of electors. The details you will have to provide are your name, address, national insurance number, nationality and age.

The law makes it compulsory to provide information to an electoral registration officer to be included in the full electoral register. The full register is published once a year (December) and is updated every month. It is used by the electoral registration office and returning officers for administration related to elections and referendums. 

Political parties, candidates for elections and public libraries also have access to the electoral register.

Am I eligible to vote?

To qualify to be registered to vote you must be

  • resident or deemed resident in the registration area (Moray),
  • a British, other Commonwealth, Irish or European Union citizen
  • aged 18 or over for Westminster and some referendums or for Scottish Parliament and Local Government (Council) elections - 16 and 17 year old
  • not subject to any legal incapacity.

Registering to Vote

You can apply to register to vote online please visit You will need your National Insurance number to hand. An easy read step by step guide (PDF, 2Mb) is available on how to use this service.
Alternatively please call the electoral registration office on 01343 619819 during office hours for a registration form or email

Who maintains the register?

The electoral register is maintained by the Grampian Valuation Joint Board (GVJB) who manage the register on behalf of the Returning Officers in Moray, Aberdeenshire and Aberdeen City. It is not maintained by the Council. The electoral register contains details of everyone who has registered to vote and is published once a year and updated monthly. The GVJB are also responsible for applications for proxy and postal voting.

How do I change my details or register?

Forms to register to vote or change your details and applications for postal and proxy votes can be found here. Alternatively please contact the Electoral Registration Officer.

How do I consult the electoral register?

If you wish to view the electoral register it is available for consultation at the library. It is not available electronically.

What is individual electoral registration (IER)?

Individual electoral registration was introduced in England, Scotland and Wales in 2014. It replaces the previous registration arrangements - where one person in each household registered everyone to vote - with the requirement for each person in the household to be responsible for registering individually. The Electoral Registration Officer may contact you to ask for further information to confirm your identity.

More information about electoral registers

More information about IER and electoral registers and how they are used can be found at the following web links.

Contact Details

Electoral Registration Officer
Grampian Valuation Joint Board
234 High Street
IV30 1BA
Tel: 01343 619819

Monday - Thursday - 9am to 5pm, Friday - 9am to 4pm 

For electoral registration officers in other parts of the country please visit the website Your Vote Matters to find their details.

Contact Us

Elections Office
Council Offices
High Street

01343 563334

Rate this Page