Funfairs/Fairgrounds, Firework & Bonfire Displays

To hold  a funfair, firework and bonfire display you will need to apply for a Public Entertainment Licence.

Application for a Dispensation from the Prohibition on the Use of Fireworks during Night Hours

Please read the Guidance Notes (pdf) before applying for a dispensation.

There is a general prohibition on using fireworks during night hours (11pm to 7am) on ANY night except Chinese New Year, Diwali and new Year’s Eve (where fireworks can be used until 1am) and 5 November (where fireworks can be used until 12 midnight). On other dates any person who is employed by, or in business as, a professional organiser or operator of firework displays, can apply to us for a dispensation from the general prohibition. Dispensations can only be granted where the applicant proposes to put on a fireworks display, or to use fireworks at a national public celebration or national commemorative event.


An application form must be received by us at least six weeks before the proposed event. There is no fee for this.

Successful applicants will be prohibited form using fireworks in terms of the dispensation unless they give public notice in the local newspaper of their intention to use fireworks and include the following information:

  • Your name and address or that of the business making the application
  • A description of the proposed firework display
  • Details of the fireworks that you propose to use at the event
  • The proposed location
  • The date(s) and hours during which you propose to use fireworks during the event

Sign and date the declaration at the bottom of the application form.  This is a very important part of the form.

Once you have completed the application form, you should submit it to:

Legal and Democratic Services, The Moray Council, High Street, Elgin, IV30 1BX.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within two weeks of submitting the application, please contact us.

Application Form (pdf) Application Form (Word)

Rate this Page