Public Entertainment Licence


If your premises are used as a place of public entertainment you must hold a public entertainment licence.

Such a licence is not required in certain circumstances, eg for an athletic or sports ground being used for sports or athletic purposes or entertainment that is being provided on premises licensed under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 during licensed hours.

Licences are obtained from the Moray Council for the Moray area where the activity is to be carried out. The Moray Council are the local authority for the Moray area.

Applications may be subject to a fee and should be made in writing in such a form as required by the licensing authority (including by electronic means). Applications must be signed by the applicant or their agent (including by electronic means).

Please read our Guidance Notes (PDF) for advice on how to complete the Application Form, and more information about the application procedure, the Certificate of Display and Schedule of Conditions.

Application Form (PDF) Application Form (Word)

Please check the decision tree (PDF) to help you decide which Public Entertainment Licence would suit you best.

IMPORTANT: The Health and Safety Executive has issued a safety alert (PDF) to all Fairground Trade Associations. You can also find health and safety guidance for fairgrounds on the Health and Safety Executive's website.

Variation to the Public Entertainment Licence

Please view a variation to the Public Entertainment Licence

Eligibility Criteria

If the application is for entertainment that will be mainly or wholly on the premises you must display a public notice detailing your application, in a public place at or near the premises for 21 days from the date the application is submitted. The notice must contain details relating to the application, where objections and representations can be made and how the objections and representations can be made.

If you are required to place a notice you must supply the licensing authority with a certificate confirming you have complied with the requirement.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence


We will send a copy of the application to the local chief constable and to the appropriate relevant authority (or where applicable the enforcing authority under the Fire (Scotland) Act 2005).

The enforcing or relevant authority may be the Health & Safety Executive, the fire service or the local authority.

Wel will give notice to the public in local newspapers of every application.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period.


The fee you will pay depends on the information you supply in your application. Guidance on how to calculate the fee is given in the form and you will pay it online.

To minimise our costs, we pass on a 1.80% charge on the value of all payments made by credit card.

Apply Online

To apply online for a public entertainment licence or for a certificate of compliance use the links in the Online Services box below.

Contact Us

Legal and Democratic Services

Rate this Page