Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)

If you are 16-19 years' old, and attending school or college, you may be eligible to receive financial assistance from an Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA). EMA is a weekly allowance of £30 per week payable to eligible young people who stay on in full-time education after their 16th birthday or participate in an Activity Agreement.

Apply online for an EMA

Check your eligibility

Eligibility is dependent on household income and the number of dependent children. To be eligible, your family household income must be less than:

£24,421- for households with one dependent child
£26,884 - for households with two or more dependent children

Your parent/carer should read our information document (PDF) to find out how household income is assessed. If your parent/carer does not currently claim Free School Meals and a Clothing Grant, Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction them they will need to complete a benefits claim form.

Terms and Conditions

You must complete and adhere to the terms and conditions of a Learning Agreement - a contract with your school or college.  This agreement will set out what is expected of you in terms of attendance, coursework and progress, and if you don't comply with it, the allowance may be taken away.

Make an application for EMA

If you were born between 1 March 2005 and 30 September 2008 you may be eligible for an EMA from August 2024.  Applications will be accepted from 30 June 2024.

If you were born between 1 October 2008 and 28 February 2009 you may be eligible for an EMA from January 2025.  Applications will be accepted from 1 October 2024.

The closing date for 2024/2025 EMA applications is 31 March 2025.  You can apply online for an EMA or alternatively, print and complete the EMA Application Form 2024/2025 (PDF) the EMA Guidance Notes provided. If you do not have access to a printer, you can collect a form from any secondary school, Elgin Reception (which is appointment only) or the Information Hubs at libraries.

If you are attending college you may also be eligible for EMA but you should contact the college directly for further information on their EMA application procedure

How is EMA paid

Once your EMA is approved, it is paid on a fortnightly basis directly into your bank account.  If you do not have a bank account, you will be required to open one.

Find out more about EMAs.

If you have any queries please email or telephone 01343 563456.

Post your completed application form to The Revenues Section, Moray Council, High Street, Elgin, IV30 1BX

You can also hand deliver your application to the Information Hubs located within all Moray Council Libraries.

Contact Us

The Revenues Section
The Moray Council
Council Office
High Street, Elgin
IV30 1BX

01343 563456

Rate this Page