Petroleum Storage Certificate


Licence Summary

The Trading Standards Service is the licensing authority for the storage of petroleum spirit in Moray.  A licence is required in order to ensure that those keeping and dispensing petroleum spirit, do so in a safe manner that is unlikely to cause risk to the public or environment.

Petroleum means any product of crude petroleum that has a flashpoint below 21 ̊C.  This includes petrol, benzene, pentane and any mixture that contains these products and has a flashpoint below 21 ̊C.  This does not include white spirit, paraffin, diesel oil or fuel oils.  15 litres of petrol can be kept for any domestic or non-workplace purposes without a licence being in force.  This allowance is conditional on the petrol being kept in suitable approved containers e.g. metal or approved plastic containers.

To run a business where petrol is stored for dispensing directly into the fuel tank of an internal combustion engine - or where large amounts of petrol are stored for private use - you need a licence from your local petroleum licensing authority.

Conditions may be attached to a licence.

Eligibility Criteria

The Petroleum (Consolidation) Act 1928 (as amended by DSEAR) requires that anyone operating a petrol filling station should have a licence which is renewed at regular intervals, currently every three years.  The requirement applies both to retail and non-retail filling stations – those that dispense petrol to the general public and those which only dispense petrol into their own vehicles.  Petrol filling stations are defined as sites that dispense petrol into vehicles, boats or aircraft by electrical or mechanical means.

Regulation Summary

  1. The Petroleum (Consolidation) Act 1928
  2. The Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 (DSEAR)

Application Evaluation Process

After submitting the application and fee, the Petroleum Officer will arrange to visit the proposed site.  Following a satisfactory site visit and documentation the licence will be sent within 10 working days. The licence must be available for inspection on site.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.


The Moray Council's Trading Standards Service now licences the storage of petrol on a three year fixed term basis, and is dependent on the quantity stored

View our Trading Standards Fees page.

Apply Online

To apply for a licence to store petroleum, tell us about a change to your existing petroleum licence, apply to transfer your existing petroleum licence or renew your licence to store petroleum please use the online links on the right.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact The Moray Council in the first instance, see contact details below.

If an application is refused the applicant may appeal to the Secretary of State.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact The Moray Council in the first instance, see contact details below.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice Bureau Advice Guide will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Trade Associations

Petrol Retailers Association (PRA)

Contact Us

Trading Standards
The Moray Council
PO Box 6760
IV30 9BX

0300 123 4561

Rate this Page