Consumer and Business Information
Welcome to Consumer and Business Information from The Moray Council Trading Standards Service. Call our partner Citizens Advice Consumer Service, 03454 04 05 06, for clear, practical consumer advice :- Available 9.00am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. You can make a complaint using the online complaint form.
Doorstep Consumer Crime
Doorstep Crime can affect anyone, but it is often older and vulnerable people who are targeted. Common practices include high pressure / aggressive sales techniques and carrying out unnecessary work to a low standard at inflated cost. The most serious problems are associated with higher value home and garden repairs and maintenance.
Trading Standards advice is never to agree to work on the doorstep. If you think that work is needed to your property get quotes from two or three traders and compare them. Ask someone you can trust for a recommendation, or use one of the recognised trader approval schemes listed below. Don’t hurry to part with your money.
If you, or a neighbour or relative is approached by a cold caller and you are concerned about them we would advise you to contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454 040506. Further advice is available here. We can supply free ‘We do not buy at the door’ stickers. You can ask a trusted neighbour to speak with doorstep sellers for you and use this card to send cold callers to your neighbour.
Trader Approval Schemes
NICEIC - Electricians
Renewable Energy Consumer Code - Small-scale renewable and low carbon heat or power generating systems
There are many different kinds of scams aimed at consumers and businesses, from miracle lotions to bogus investments - the more you know about them, the less likely you are to fall for them.
Always stop and think - Take Five to Stop Fraud:
- Never disclose security details, such as your PIN or full banking password
- Don’t assume an email, text or phone call is authentic
- Don’t be rushed – a genuine organisation won’t mind waiting
- Listen to your instincts – you know if something doesn’t feel right
- Stay in control – don’t panic and make a decision you’ll regret
Reporting Scam Email and Malicious Software
You can fight back against scams by reporting them:-
- Online reporting tool from ActionFraud.
- Reporting scam email to your service provider - advice from Which?
More information on scams is available at:-
What We Do
Trading Standards ensure fair trading to protect consumers and business from unfair and unsafe trading practices. Fair trading improves consumer confidence, which in turn, encourages trade and economic growth:-
- Fair Trading
- Age Related Sales
- Product Counterfeiting
- Consumer Safety
- Weights and Measures
- Animal Feed Safety and Quality
- Consumer Credit
The Financial inclusion team provide advice on debt and welfare benefits:-
- Advice and assistance with debt problems
- Advice and assistance with benefits claims and appeals
Promoting the five objectives of alcohol licensing:-
- Preventing crime and disorder,
- Securing public safety
- Preventing public nuisance,
- Protecting and improving public health
- Protecting children from harm.
How Are We Performing?
The Moray Council
PO Box 6760
0300 123 4561