Benefits Service - Help with your Rent

From 27 June 2018 Housing Benefit is being replaced in Moray by Universal Credit.  From this date, if you need help with your rent you will have to claim Universal Credit instead.   

As the move from Housing Benefit to Universal Credit is a gradual process, there are some people who will continue to get Housing Benefit.  

  • If you already receive Housing Benefit before 27 June 2018 and do not have a change in your circumstances after this date, you are likely to continue to get Housing Benefit.   
  • If you have been placed in temporary accommodation by the council due to homelessness or you stay in supported accommodation, you can still claim Housing Benefit for your housing costs as Universal Credit does not currently cover these accommodation types.

This page only provides information on the existing Housing Benefit scheme.  


  • You can claim Housing Benefit even if you are working
  • You don’t need to have made any National Insurance contributions
  • You can still claim Housing Benefit even if you are not getting any other benefits

You can live in:

  • A Council House
  • Privately rented accommodation
  • A hostel
  • A hotel
  • A guest house or other similar accommodation
  • Or other types of rented accommodation (except most residential care or nursing home)

To be entitled to Housing Benefit:

  • You must live in the UK
  • Occupy the dwelling as your home
  • Be liable to pay rent for the dwelling

Housing Benefit is NOT available if you:

  • Have capital of £16,000 or more e.g. bank and building society accounts, investments, cash and property etc. (Not applicable if you receive guarantee credit element of pension credit).
  • Are in a co-ownership scheme
  • Own your own home or are buying your own home
  • Are in a nursing home or residential care home
  • Are a full time student in higher education (unless you are in an exempt category i.e. single parents)
  • Live in the same household as and, have to pay rent, to a close relative, in-law or employer

To work out your Housing Benefit entitlement Moray Benefits Service will look at:

  • The money that you and your partner have coming in, including earnings, some benefits and tax credits and things like occupational pensions
  • The capital that you and your partner may have (e.g. bank and building society accounts, investments, cash and property etc)
  • Your circumstances, such as your age and the size of family you have and the ages of your children, whether there is anyone who lives with you who could help with the rent

If you rent your home, Moray Council Benefits Service will also look at:

  • The amount of rent you are charged
  • The size of your household to see how many bedrooms you need

View local housing allowance if you rent from a private landlord for more information or read our Frequently Asked Questions.

Contact Us

Customer Contact Team


WAGA May 2017 |

Rate this Page