FOI Request - RIDDOR Reports Received by LA
The information I am requesting relates to the RIDDOR reports submitted to your local authority (including any LAs which have come under your jurisdiction as of 1 April 2023) by businesses in your jurisdiction via the HSE portal.
To assist my research, I would be grateful if you could provide the following data from 1 April 2012 to 31 March 2023:
1. Total number of RIDDOR reports processed each month, broken down as follows:
a) the number of RIDDOR reports received which were:
i) confirmed as RIDDOR reportable once reviewed
ii) confirmed as not RIDDOR reportable once reviewed
iii) recorded as unknown or left blank on your database
2. For the RIDDOR reports above which were confirmed as RIDDOR reportable once reviewed (for a given month), please specify how many of those resulted in the following actions:
a) Investigation / decision to investigate
b) No investigation / decision not to investigate
c) Total notices served, also specifying their breakdown:
i) Improvement notice served
ii) Prohibition notice served
iii) Total cautions and prosecutions, also specifying their breakdown:
iv) Simple caution issued
v) Prosecution sought
3. Total number of active businesses in your local authority for each year.
i.e., the total number of businesses which were actively operating in your jurisdiction ( (i.e., anyone trading in goods or services, to whom RIDDOR Regulations apply to, including schools, hospital, sole traders, etc) as of 31 March each year. This information will most likely be held by your business rates team.
1. & 2. Our system does not record the information you requested in a readily retrievable format and we cannot provide the level of detail you require without checking each individual record. To extract this detail will required a considerable amount of staff time and this would cost the Council in excess of £600. In accordance with section 12 of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002, excessive cost, we are therefore unable to comply with your request.
I have attached the total number of RIDDOR reports by year and type and would advise that all were investigated and no notices or prosecutions were served or instigated as a result of the reports.
3. We are unable to provide an answer as the Valuation Roll our Non Domestic Rates entries are based on contains premises where individuals and companies are liable and we have no way of identifying what is a business on our software. Investigating each of the over 5600 live entries would take over the 40 hour limit. In accordance with section 12 of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002, excessive cost, we are therefore unable to comply with your request.