How Museums Work
Our museums are places where you can see, find out about and often touch or handle objects from the past.
We look after these objects on your behalf, so that future generations will be able to enjoy learning from them.
What does this involve?
- We must plan ahead
- We have to keep lists or catalogues of the collections
- We have to be able to find objects from stores
- We care for the objects, protecting them from harm
- We carry out research
- We put objects on display with information to tell you about them
- We lend objects to schools and community groups for the benefit of those who cannot visit the museum
How does this take place?
We have a small team of people who work 'in the back room' to make sure that all these tasks run smoothly. Use the links below to find out more about this work.