Benefit fraud is a criminal offence. It happens when a person knowingly makes a false statement or knowingly fails to report a change in circumstances with the intention of obtaining benefit to which he/she is not entitled.
It covers all benefits including Housing Benefit and Social Security Benefits e.g. Income Support, Universal Credit, Jobseekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, Pension Credits.
To report Benefit Fraud you can:
Contact the Corporate Investigations Officer at Moray Council on:
- Tel: 01343 563 307
- E-mail Fraud@moray.gov.uk
- Write: Corporate Investigations Officer, Room 146, Moray Council Headquarters, High Street, Elgin, IV30 1BX
- Call the National Benefit Fraud helpline – 0800 854 4400 (textphone 0800 320 0512)
- Report online through the GOV.UK website
- Write to NBFH, PO Box 224, Preston PR1 1GP
Find out what information is needed in a Fraud Report.