FOI Request - Religious Education in Schools
1. What is your local authority’s policy or what are the guidelines on the provision of religious education in schools?
2. Can pupils, or parents/guardians on behalf of pupils, opt out of religious education?
3. If so, in the current school year, how many pupils have opted out of religious education in the classroom? Please break down the figures according to primary or secondary school as well as faith or non-denominational school and provide comparable overall totals for each (ie. X pupils in non-denominational primary schools have opted out, of a total of XXX pupils in such schools).
4. Please provide the same details as those requested in the last point for the past three school years (ie 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2013-14).
1. See policy guidance .
2. Yes, pupils can be excluded at parental request.
3. This information is not held and is therefore exempt under Section 17 of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.