FOI Request - Employee Policies
I am 3rd year student studying Economics, Politics and Human Resources. To assist with my current project study, I would be grateful if you could provide me with the following information which I am requesting under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.
For simplicity terms, any figures requested are for financial year 2014/15 and any information requested relates to “employees” only (i.e. not workers or office-holders).
1. Can you provide me with your entire pay/grading structure including the following details:
a. Grade / Range / SCP range or equivalent
b. Salary levels attributed to (a) and;
c. Clarification of the weekly hours the annual salary is based on (e.g. 35 hours, 37 hours per week)
2. Can you provide me with the details on how you compensate shift workers/shift patterns. Can you also include:
a. How this payment is calculated (e.g. average hours over a 4 week period)
b. How often is this payment made (e.g. every four weeks or annually divided by pay periods etc.)
c. How is your compensation arrangements broken down/calculated (e.g. if 10%+ of contractual hours are outwith normal hours etc.)
d. Can you clarify, what is your “core working hours”
e. Is such payments contractual or ad-hoc
f. If you have a matrix of calculation etc., I would be grateful if you could provide this.
3. Can you confirm how you compensate staff who have to provide “stand-by” or “on-call arrangements”. (If you have both, please provide details of both). In addition, can you confirm:
a. Is stand-by and/or on-call contractual or voluntary?
b. If contractual, how is this worked out (if you use one position as an example, that would be helpful. For example – provides standby ever 4 weeks and is paid XXXX)
c. If “called-out” what pay arrangements apply?
d. If you have a matrix of calculation etc., I would be grateful if you could provide this.
4. Can you confirm if you have any enhancments for additional hours (overtime) working for:
a. Evening Work
d. Part-time Workers who work less than FTE
e. If you have a matrix of calculation for additional hours, I would be grateful if you could provide this.
5. For simplicity terms, can you confirm for a full-time Monday to Friday worker, the following:
a. Annual Leave Entitlement
b. Public/General Holiday Entitlement
i. What are your public/general holidays
c. Sick Pay Entitlement
6. Do you have arrangements in place for “responsibility allowance” (or equivalent e.g. acting up). If so, how are these arrangements applied and what is the compensation for this?
7. Do you have arrangements for chargehand cover (or equivalent) If so, how are these arrangements applied and what is the compensation for this?
8. Do you have arrangements for Supervisor cover (or equivalent)? For example, particularly in a remit where the work is very repetetive and the Supervisor is on holiday, who would co-ordinate the work). If so, how are these arrangements applied and what is the compensation for this?
9. Do you have arrangements for staff having to cover residential work with clients? If so, what are these arrangements and what compensation is in place for this?
10. Do you have any compensation arrangements for an employee who may be undertaking project work above their normal duties? If so, what arrangements and compensation are in place for this?
11. In terms of sickness absence, what trigger points do you have in place to assess an employee’s level of attendance.
12. I would be grateful if you could provide me with a copy of your policy for managing sickness absence.
13. I would be grateful if you could provide me with your policy on annual leave, public holidays etc.
14. Do you permit employees to buy or sell annual leave? If so, I would be grateful if you could provide a copy of your policy/procedure/guidance for this.
1. The information you requested can be found here.
The information relating to teachers can be found here.
3a. a combination of both.
b&c. Road Workers would be contractual for standby for winter maintenance so would be as and when required and this would be paid as per timesheet.
d. Standby and Call Out Payments document can be found here.
4. Please see terms and conditions in Q2.
5a. Please see terms and conditions in Q2.
b. New Year's Day (public holiday)
Day after New Year’s Day (public holiday)
Good Friday (public holiday)
May Day (public holiday)
Christmas Day (public holiday)
Boxing Day (public holiday)
last working day of the year ((Council holiday)
c. Please see terms and conditions in Q2.
6. An employee, who is in receipt of an acting up allowance, would receive the difference between their current spinal column point and the lowest point of the grade into which they are acting up. The percentage of the difference they will receive will be dependent on whether or not they are carrying out the full remit of the higher graded post. An acting up allowance is only payable if the employee covers the higher graded post for a period of 4 weeks or more.
7. An employee who is required to act up into a chargehand post would receive an allowance based on the detail at Q6 with the exclusion of the time scale, eg they may only receive for one day to provide cover during sick leave.
8. No acting up cover would be provided during periods of annual leave as the periods would never exceed the timescales advised in Q6 with the exception of the chargehand detail in Q7.
9. Residential workers would receive the relevant enhancements as per Q4. Employees who are required to “sleepover” in a residential unit will receive a payment of £34.20 per night and if they are disturbed during this period, they will receive payments based on the “Payment for Disturbance and/or Call out – for those on standby” as per the document in Q3.
10. We do not have any policy or procedure for this scenario.
11. See Appendix 2 of the policy attached in Q12.
12. The information you requested can be found here.
13. Please see terms and conditions attached in Q2.
14. Holiday buy back is offered.under our Flexible Working Policy.