FOI Request - Primate Licensing 2015
As at 25 February 2015:
1. How many DWA licences are currently issued in your area?
2. How many of these DWA licences are issued for primates (monkeys, apes or prosimians such as lemurs)?
3. How many applications for licences to keep primates under the DWA Act have been refused in your area in the last 12 months? On what grounds were they refused?
4. What is the cost of obtaining a DWA licence in your area (please indicate whether this includes any veterinary fees incurred)?
5. What is the cost of 'renewing' a DWA licence in your area (please indicate whether this includes any veterinary fees incurred)?
6. Are you aware of any breeders or dealers of primates in your area?
If yes, how many? And are they licensed under the Pet Animals Act 1951?
7. If a member of the public is aware of a breach of the Animal Welfare Act with regards to primates, who do they contact in your area?
8. In order to be granted DWA licences for primates, must applicants demonstrate that they meet the conditions laid out in the Code of Practice for the Welfare of Privately Kept Non-human Primates?
9. If there are primates licensed in yoru area, please provide copies of all licences, and the most recent relevant veterinary and inspection report(s) for each licence (on the understanding that for data protection purposes, certain information may be obscured). If no written reports are available, please indicate the date on which the most recent report was conducted, by whom, and the outcome of the visit. If not included in the report(s), please also rpovide the following information:
For each licence issued for primates:
a. How many individuals of each species are covered (please provide the scientific name ie. Cebus apella)?
b. What is the age and sex of each licensed primate? If this information is not kept by your council, please indicate so.
c. Where was each primate obtained? If this information is not kept by your council, please indicate so.
d. Are these primates considered to be pets? If not, how are they classified?
e. Please confirm whether any restriction is placed on the breeding of the licensed animals. If no restriction exists, please indicate whether the existing licence would automatically cover the offspring, and until what age this cover would last.
10. Would you or someone in your department be willing to share any further information about DWA licensing? Who can we contact for such information?
4. £166.00 exclusive of vets fees
5. £166.00 exclusive of vets fees
7. Animal Services Officer, The Moray Council, Council Office , High Street, Elgin
10. Animal Services Officer, The Moray Council, Council Office , High Street, Elgin