FOI Request - Children Victims of Trafficking in Care
I apply under the terms of the Freedom of Information legislation for the following information about children and young people from outside the EU cared for by your Local Authority who may be victims and/or potential victims of trafficking.
We refer to the definition of trafficking outlined in Article 3, paragraph (a) of the Protocol to Prevent, Suppress and Punish Trafficking in Persons which defines Trafficking in Persons as the recruitment, transportation, transfer, harbouring or receipt of persons, by means of the threat or use of force or other forms of coercion, of abduction, of fraud, of deception, of the abuse of power or of a position of vulnerability or of the giving or receiving of payments or benefits to achieve the consent of a person having control over another person, for the purpose of exploitation. Exploitation shall include, at a minimum, the exploitation of the prostitution of others or other forms of sexual exploitation, forced labour or services, slavery or practices similar to slavery, servitude or the removal of organs
To be specific, I am seeking information relating to young people who are:
• Up to the age of 25;
• Who are from outside the EU, have been the victims of trafficking (VoT); are potential victims of trafficking (PVoT) or have been officially identified as the victims of trafficking and are currently looked after and accommodated by the Local Authority.
• These young people will have normally claimed asylum and/or protection under the trafficking identification system (the National Referral Mechanism). These young people may have also claimed asylum with the Home Office. They may have been placed in foster care, or other forms of accommodation or they may be detained but are still being financed by your own Local Authority. They may or may not have an allocated Social Worker but will normally be accommodated or financed or both by the Authority’s Social Services Department either under compulsory measures of care or through voluntary or discretionary provision.
I respectfully request information on the following:
In each of the last two financial years:
1. How many child victims of trafficking, from outside of the EU, and under the age of 16 are being supported / accommodated by your Local Authority? How many ‘Potential’ victims of trafficking have been identified?
2. How many child victims of trafficking, from outside of the EU, between the ages of 16 to 18 are being supported / accommodated by your Local Authority? How many ‘Potential’ victims of trafficking have been identified?
3. How many 18 – 25 year olds currently being supported / accommodated by your Local Authority are victims of trafficking? How many ‘Potential’ victims of trafficking have been identified?
4. How many (of the combined total of 1- 3 above) are female?
5. What are the predominant nationalities of the children identified at (1) & (2) above? For example please provide us with the top five nationalities of UASC currently in your care?
6. What are the predominant nationalities of the 18-25 year at (3) above? For example please provide us with the top five nationalities