FOI Request - Council Funeral Services
I am writing to request the following information regarding the Council Funeral service provided by Moray Council. Council Funerals are carried out by local authorities under their duties of the National Assistance Act 1948 and Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968. I am aware that some local authorities may refer to this service as ‘environmental burials’ or other alternative name.
1. What does Moray Council provide as part of the Council Funeral service?
2. Provide the number of requests for Council Funerals to Moray Council for each of the last five years.
3. Provide the number of Council Funerals actually carried out by Moray Council for each of the last five years.
4. Provide the number of Council Funerals refused by Moray Council for each of the last five years.
5. Provide the budget allocated by Moray Council for Council Funerals for each of the last five years.
6. Provide the amount actually spent by Moray Council for Council Funerals for each of the last five years.
1. The Moray Council has a contract with a local funeral undertaker who conveys the deceased person to the funeral rest room, with the other arrangements including the cost of a coffin, the presence of a member of the clergy at the service and the interment. The funeral does not include the cost of flowers, funeral cars or headstones.
2. April 2010 - March 2011: Three
April 2011 - March 2012: One
April 2012 - March 2013: Two
April 2013 - March 2014: Five
April 2014 - 4 December 2014: Four
3. As for Q2 above.
5. The contract with the funeral undertaker involves payment for the individual funerals which are arranged.
6. The total net costs of the funerals in these years were as follows:
April 2010 - March 2011: £975.53
April 2011 - March 2012: £422.50
April 2012 - March 2013: £1741.54
April 2013 - March 2014: £2014.14
April 2014 - 4 December 2014: £2625.41