FOI Request - Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act
1. Can you state, for each year, how many occasions the council has invoked the powers of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act during the financial years of 2011/2012, 2012/2013 and 2013/14.
2. For each instance of the powers being invoked can you provide a brief description of the the reason for invoking the RIPA powers.
3. For each instance of the powers being invoked can you state the outcome. E.g. whether a conviction was secured, a penalty notice issued or no further action was taken.
1. This information is exempt under Section 25 of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002; information otherwise available. The information can be found here; specifically Policy and Resources dated 15 April 2014, 4 June 2013 and 19 June 2012.
2. See Q1 above.
3. 2011/12, all uses led to either penalty notices or fiscal fines being issued.
2012/13, two uses resulted in the cases being referred to another authority, one case led to fixed penalty notices being issued, three to convictions, four to warnings and two uses lead to a report to the Procurator Fiscal (PF) and is still pending.
2013/14, one case was dropped as no evidence was found, two cases were reported to the PF and is pending, four to fixed penalty notices, one to a warning, one to no further action being taken and one is due to be reported to PF.