FOI Request - Solid Waste Collection and Disposal
My dissertation is an investigation of the current extent and possible future progression of Anaerobic Digestion Facilities as a method of treating biomass municipal solid waste and providing sustainable energy in Scotland.
For the year's 2011/12, 2012/2013 and 2013/14
(i) total tonnage of municipal solid waste collect
(ii) total cost of collecting municipal solid waste
(iii) total tonnage of municipal solid waste sent to landfill
(iv) total cost of disposing municipal solid waste at landfill
(v) total tonnage of municipal solid waste that was collected and sent for treatments other than to landfill
1. Does your organisation pre-sort municipal solid waste prior to sending to landfill or any other treatments? Y/N.
2. Does your organisation use Anaerobic Digestion as a method of treating municipal solid waste? Y/N. If yes please complete the table below, if no please complete question 3.
For 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2013/14 - total tonnage of municipal solid waste that was collected sent for Anaerobic Digestion treatment.
3. Do you have any future plans of using Anaerobic Digestion treatment as a method of dealing with municipal solid waste? Y/N
4. How does your organisation plan to achieve the 2025 Zero Waste Plan as set by the Scottish Government?
5. Do you separately collect food waste from residential properties or businesses? Y/N, if yes please see below.
For 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2013/14 - total tonnage of food waste collected
6. How many homes are there in your local authority catchment area?
2011/12 - 60906 (incl 7630 trade)
2012/13 - 57864 (10103 trade)
2013/14 - 56864 (8980 trade)
2011/12 - £2954253
2012/13 - £3325810
2013/14 - £3437473 (To Be Confirmed)
2011/12 - 34421
2012/13 - 30733
2013/14 - 27145
(iv) Total cost of disposing municipal solid waste at landfill (inclusive of income and LFT):
2011/12 - £2146399
2012/13 - £2209019
2013/14 - £2013788
2011/12 - 26484
2012/13 - 27130
2013/14 - 29719
4. Infrastructure is already in place with regards to recyclate collection. Alternative treatment to landfill is being investigated. Anaerobic Digestion is not being considered.
5. No, we have a combined food and green waste collection service.
6. 44427 homes.