FOI Request - Blocked Websites from Education Establishments
Please would you confirm your policy with regards the blocking of websites accessed from education establishments under your authority?
1. Is it your policy to block specific websites or to monitor internet use at these establishments?
2. Do you have control over individual school policy (re website blocking) or do you act only in an advisory capacity?
3. Do you have control over other aspects of individual school’s e-safety policies or do you act only in an advisory capacity? If so, what aspects?
4. If relevant, how many websites and keywords are on your blocked list?
5. If relevant, how many websites and keywords are on your monitored list?
1. The Council uses web filtering software to control access to the Internet. The software categorises websites and groups are created in relation to the specific categories. It is sometimes necessary to create custom categories in certain circumstances e.g. where the website has not been assigned a category and the content is deemed inappropriate.
2. The web filtering software is administered centrally.
3. Advisory capacity.
4. In terms of the custom category referred to in para 1 above, there are 498 blocked websites in this list
5. Not applicable.