FOI Request - Recycling Contamination
(1) This is a Freedom of Information request to ask what proportion of recycling received by the council in 2012-13 was contaminated by non-recyclable waste?
(2) Can you please tell me what proportion of waste collected as recycling had to be added to landfill waste and thrown away.
(3) Could you please provide a brief explanation of why this waste could not be recycled and what measures the council is putting in place to improve recycling rates.
(4) Can you please answer the same questions for 2011-12, 2010-11 and 2009-10.
(1) This information is not recorded and is therefore exempt under Section 17 (1b) of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.
(2) No waste was collected for recycling was disposed of other than to the intended recycling processor.
(3) Not applicable. The council continues to promote the recycling of materials in line with all legislative requirements through our traditional measures which include-
- Provision of a comprehensive and efficient service
- Promotion of sensible waste management practices at public events which afford easy engagement with the relevant stakeholders whether they be domestic or business customers.
- Use of all available media platforms as required.
- Proactive engagement with a broad range of stakeholders from schools to community councils and members of the public.
- Active monitoring of collection routes to ensure adherence to policy and afford an easy and effective opportunity to highlight any failings in awareness of requirements in an approachable and avuncular manner.
(4) Answers for 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12 are the same as above.