FOI Request - Assaults on Staff
UNISON is undertaking its annual survey on the level of assaults on staff that have occurred over the past year.
I would, therefore, request the following information:
1. What is the total number of assaults on your employees during the past year? (I am not so much concerned by whether the period is the last calendar year, financial year or other dates, as long as it is the last 12 month period for which you hold figures.)
2. Please provide a breakdown of the nature of the assault, e.g. verbal, physical, threatening behaviour.
3. Please provide a breakdown of the category of worker involved, e.g. social care worker, parking attendant, teaching or non-teaching staff.
4. Please give figures for assaults on non-teaching staff in schools.
5. Please give figures for assaults on housing staff.
6. Please indicate if you have or are considering introducing any special measures to assess the risk to housing staff and to protect them from potential assaults.
1. April 2012 to March 2013 - 19 on the corporate V&A database and 296 on Educational Services V&A database (TOTAL 315)
2. Verbal – 6 + 4 = 10
Physical – 10 + 252 = 262
Disruptive behaviour – 2 + 18 = 20
Malicious/ menacing – 1 + 22 = 23
TOTAL = 315
3. School support staff - 282
Teaching staff - 16
Development Officer - 1
Social Work - 1
Care Assistant - 6
Day Centre Officer - 3
Homecarer - 3
Housing - 3
4. As per question 3.
5. As per question 3.
6. A cross departmental working group has been set up and is currently developing a system of better risk assessments based on sharing of information between Councils, Council departments and relevant organisations.