Community Council Elections 2017
Elections for all Community Councils in Moray are held every 4 years,with the current term of office running from October 2017- September 2021.
About the election
The number of Community Councils in Moray, their membership, areas they cover and the way they are administrated are covered by the Moray Council Scheme for the Establishment of Community Councils 2017-2021 (592kB, PDF). There are a number of changes to the scheme following a recent review, including reducing the age of membership from 18 to 16 years old, additional provisions around the process of resignation and complaints about the community council.
The election timetable (14kB, PDF) sets out the key dates and deadlines for the Community Council election. Nominations have now closed and results are available below.
Following the close of nomination:
- 17 Community Councils were established - inaugural meetings will be held during October -November (see timetable below)
- 3 Community Councils were not established being Findhorn & Kinloss, Hopeman & Covesea and Glenlivet due to insufficient numbers of candidates
- No Community Councils were contested - no ballots are required
For full results and lists of names of newly appointed members please see the Notice of Community Councils established uncontested (PDF, 204kb) or refer to individual community council pages using the links on the left.
Inaugural meetings timetable
All meetings start at 7:00pm
CC1 Elgin Community Council, Tuesday 10 Oct, Moray Council HQ, The Chambers,
CC2 Forres Community Council, Thursday 19 Oct, Forres Town Hall, Forres
CC4 Dyke Landward Community Council, Wednesday 04 Oct, Dyke & District Village Hall, Dyke
CC5 Finderne Community Council, Monday 30 Oct, Rafford Village Hall, Rafford
CC6 Burghead & Cummingston Community Council, Thursday 05 Oct, Harbourmasters Office, Burghead
CC8 Lossiemouth Community Council, Monday 16 Oct, Lossiemouth Community Centre, GP Room 2, Lossiemouth
CC9 Heldon Community Council, Monday 06 Nov, Mosstowie School, Mosstowie
CC10 Innes Community Council, Tuesday 03 Oct, Lhanbryde Community Centre, Lhanbryde
CC11 Buckie & District Community Council, Monday 23 Oct, Buckie Town House, Buckie
CC12 Findochty Community Council, Wednesday 11 Oct, Findochty Town Hall
CC13 Portknockie Community Council, Monday 09 Oct, McBoyle Hall, Portknockie
CC14 Cullen & Deskford Community Council, Tuesday 31 Oct, Cullen Community Centre, Cullen
CC15 Lennox Community Council Wednesday 25 Oct, Milnes High School, Fochabers
CC16 Keith Community Council, Monday 02 Oct, Keith Sports & Community Centre, Keith
CC17 Strathisla Community Council, Wednesday 01 Nov, Keith Community Centre, Keith
CC18 Speyside Community Council, Wednesday 08 Nov, Grant Hall, Rothes
CC19 Dufftown & District Community Council, Tuesday 17 Oct, Royal British Legion, Dufftown
- Elections Timetable (PDF, 14kb) - key dates and deadlines
- Notice of Election (PDF, 78kb)
- Notice of Community Councils established uncontested (PDF, 204kb) (Nomination Results)
- Once the deadline for nomination passed on Thursday 28 September the Election Office determine whether the Community Council is:
- Uncontested - the community council can be established as less nominations were received than seats available but enough to meet the minimum membership;
- Contested - community council formed but has to go to election (postal ballot of all local electors), as more nominations were received than seats available;
- Unestablished - not enough nominations were received to meet the minimum membership and the Community Council will remain unformed.
- If the Community Council is uncontested an inaugural meeting will be held during Oct - Nov organised by the Community Council Liaison Officer
- No community councils were contested during this election.
- The process of the election is set out in the Scheme of Electoral Arrangements for Community Councils (PDF, 292kB)
If you require any further information about the election please contact the elections office on 01343 563334 or email firstname.lastname@example.org