FOI Request Foster Carer Allowances
Please can you tell me whether foster carers are given extra money for the items/occasions below on top of their regular allowance or whether these things have to be paid for out of their regular allowance. Can you tell me the situation this year and on each of the last five years.
If extra payments are given, please also tell me how much is paid for these items? If the amount varies, please let me know what the minimum and maximum payment is for each of the items.
On mileage. As well as the payment per mile please also tell me if carers can claim all mileage. If not please tell me the number of miles a foster carer has to drive before they can claim mileage if such an arrangement is in place. Please also tell me what type of journeys carers can claim for ie travel without the child to training; travel without the child to meetings; travel to contact meetings with birth parents; travel with the child to meetings with social services etc)
1) New placement costs (ie to buy clothes, bedding etc for the arrival of a child)
3) Christmas or other religious holidays.
4) School uniforms
5) Payment for school trips
6) Savings for children
1) New placement costs (ie to buy clothes, bedding etc for the arrival of a child - New carers are provided with all equipment needed to care for a child at the approval stage, ongoing renewal of bedding etc would be expected to be met from allowances. If children arrive without adequate clothing to placement then carer should buy what is required for immediate needs to bridge the gap until first allowances are paid. This amount would be reimbursed by the child care social worker.
2) Birthdays - 1 weeks extra allowance
3) Christmas or other religious holidays. 1 weeks extra allowance
4) School uniforms - should be bought as part of allowances
5) Payment for school trips – From allowances. Two weeks extra holiday allowance is paid in school summer holidays.
6) Savings for children – From allowances
7) Mileage – General mileage for travel with children as part of family outings, clubs etc is include in allowances. Can claim mileage for attending training, meetings etc. Travel with children to and from school is school is outwith catchment area. Travel with children to hospital appointments outside local resources.
These arrangements have been in place for the last 5 years.