FOI Request Building Standards, Sprinklers and Housing
I would like to request the following information under Freedom of Information:
1) In 2010, the Scottish Government added schools to the new buildings required to have sprinklers fitted as standard. Some buildings were exempt through Scottish Ministers’ power to consider a request from any applicant to be exempted from any building standard. This power now lies with local councils. Please could you fill in the attached table, detailing which buildings in your local authority have been made exempt and why from 2013 until now.
2) Please could you state how much revenue has been raised through rents and service charges paid by council and housing association tenants in your local authority for the last five financial years.
3) Please could you provide me with a breakdown of where this has been spent within the local authority over the last five financial years.
4) Please could you state how many full time equivalent members of staff work in housing for your local authority and their broad responsibilities. Please could you also provide this information for the last five financial years.
5) A breakdown of building standards and fire inspections carried out on public and private buildings in your local authorities over the last five years.
6) A copy of your building inspection guidelines.
7) Incident reports for fires in council owned buildings over the last five years.
Q1 – All applications for building warrant for schools since 2013 have met the criteria detailed in Technical Standard 2.15 of the Building (Scotland) Regulations 2004 (as amended) for sprinkler system requirements. No Relaxation has been sought in any of these applications. Sprinkler systems in schools are installed for asset protection and are only required in an extension if it is reasonably practical to do so taking account whether the benefits are outweighed by the costs. This includes whether or not the existing building is sprinklered, size of extension and geographic risk of wilful fire-raising etc. All schools were designed using this criteria from the Technical Standards and no reduction in standard was necessary.
|Summary of Housing Revenue Account Income & Expenditure|
|Rental Income from lettable stock (net of void loss)||13,668||14,380||15,240||16,044||16,987|
|Service Charges to tenants||7||6||5||5||4|
|Rental Income from Hostels||69||78||0||0||0|
|Rental Income from other properties in the HRA||231||235||242||300||357|
|Supervision & Management||4,189||4,164||3,847||3,710||3,814|
|Repairs & Maintenance||5,942||6,388||6,021||6,718||6,332|
|Movement in Allowance for Bad Debts||121||85||131||88||155|
|Capital Expenditure funded from Current Revenue||1,500||1,421||1,735||2,575||3,637|
|Net change in HRA funds||-12||11||471||-255||-165|
|Budgeted Full Time Equivalent (FTE)|
|Head of Service / Secretariat||2.00||2.00||2.00||2.00||2.00|
|Housing Strategy & Development||2.00||1.83||1.83||1.90||1.90|
|Home Improvement Team||3.00||4.00||4.00||4.00||4.00|
|Housing Needs Manager||1.00||1.00||1.00||1.00||1.00|
|Homelessness Strategy & Development||5.00||5.00||4.00||4.00||3.00|
|Housing Needs Operations Team||0.00||9.00||8.00||8.00||7.00|
|Housing Services Manager||1.00||1.00||1.00||1.00||1.00|
|Area Housing Teams||23.70||25.50||25.50||25.50||23.51|
|Housing Policy & Performance||5.00||4.91||4.91||5.00||6.00|
|Housing Capital Programmes||7.00||8.00||8.00||8.00||9.60|
Q5 and 6 – a copy of the Building Standards Inspection Guidelines are attached, Verification During Construction. One for Domestic and one for non-domestic buildings. These are national guidelines that are followed. We do not differentiate our inspections into ‘public’ and ‘private’ buildings. All buildings are classified according to the risk and a Construction and Compliance Notification Plan is produced with the Building Warrant. This requires the owner/developer to notify the Authority at the pre-determined stages of construction. A record of the inspection and any defects are noted on each electronic file back office system. No further records or statistics are kept therefore it is not possible to produce a list of buildings that have been inspected. Building Standards do not carry out any post completion inspections after the Completion Certificate has been accepted.
7. This information is exempt under Section 25 of the Freedom of Information (Scotland0 Act 2002- Information Otherwise Accessible. For ease of use it is previously published on the Moray Council website in response to another FOI request. For ease of use this information can be found at http://www.moray.gov.uk/moray_standard/page_113977.html