FOI Request Weapons At School
1.How many weapons (defined as an item designed/intended to cause harm) have been confiscated from pupils, or found in the possession of pupils, in schools since 2011 (with an annual breakdown of these figures)?
2. How many of these pupils were of primary school age?
3. What types of weapons were pupils caught with?
4. What was the age of the youngest child to have had a weapon confiscated?
|Reason for Exclusion (more than 1 per exclusion possible)||2010/11||2011/12||2012/13||2013/14||2014/15||2015/16|
|(62) Physical assault using weapon against pupil||7||1||5||1||7||4|
|(63) Physical assault using weapon against staff||6||1||3||1||5||3|
|(64) Physical assault using improvised weapon against pupil||6||10||14||4||7||8|
|(65) Physical assault using improvised weapon against staff||8||8||3||2||2||10|
|(74) Threat of physical violence using weapon or improvised weapon, against pupil||5||1||6||10||5||6|
|(75) Threat of physical violence using weapon or improvised weapon, against staff||7||4||7||4||8||6|
|The totals where ‘weapon’ was identified as a knife are:||1||1||3||1|
2. The information available is not broken down into further detail, as issuing this information has the potential to identify individual pupils. We follow the code of practice used by The Scottish Government when issuing statistical information. Numbers less than 5 are deemed to be disclosive and are therefore exempt under Section 38(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002; Personal Information.
3. Incidents utilising improvised weapons (e.g. school furniture, stationary items) have been identified above and those specifically involving knives which were detailed on the reporting form. Other information is not held and would be exempt under section 17 of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.
4. Ths information is exempt under Section 38(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002; Personal Information as it would identify the individual involved.