FOI Request - Illegal Traveller Camps
1. Can you please tell me how many illegal camps have been set up by travellers
in your local authority since 2010. Can you break the numbers down to tell me
how many were set up each year, and if possible, the locations of the illegal
2. Can you tell me how much has been spent each year since 2010 on legal fees
getting court eviction orders when dealing with illegal traveller camps?
3. Can you tell me how much has been spent each year since 2010 cleaning up
after illegal traveller camps. Can you break the figures down to how much was
spent each year and list what was involved in cleaning the site. Was it just
general cleaning and litter picking or was there vandalism which needed
4. If there are sites which appear to be used repeatedly for illegal traveller camps
could you please list the locations and tell me on how many occasions they were
1. Locations Number of encampments
2. The only info that the department has been able to gather for spending in connection with court proceedings for the years requested is as follows:
2015 Total £2084.55
2012-13 Total - £961.33
3. 2010-2011- £710
2011-2012 - £885
2014-2015 - £0
2015-2016 - £0 to date
All costs relate to general clean ups of waste and rubbish left behind on the encampment sites owned by the council.
4. Regularly used Encampment sites:
Lossie Green, Elgin was used extensively until it was closed in 2012 to carry out flood alleviation works.
HIE - Forres Enterprise Park has on average 8 encampments per year.
Portgordon /Buckie Foreshore sees an average 14 encampments per year however this has become less used in recent years.