Please see the ‘Documents’ section below for relevant policy documents.
- How to Complain
- What is a Complaint?
- Complaints Against Councillors
- Matters not Regarded as a Complaint
- Matters Covered by Other Policies
- Complaints Reporting
- Data Protection
Please click on the images below to read "How to Complain - A Guide" and "How to Complain - A Guide to Care Complaints" :
For more information please see Complaints Policy (PDF) (224 kb)
A complaint is an expression of dissatisfaction with the Council’s procedures, charges, employees, agents or quality of service. They provide the Council with an opportunity to understand the views of customers, to put things right when they have gone wrong and to improve service delivery.
- Conduct of Elected Members will be in accordance with local policy How to make a Complaint against a Moray Councillor (PDF)
- However, ultimately it is governed by the Standards Commission which carries out investigations into any complaint against elected members.
- initial reporting of faults
- request for a service
- Dissatisfaction with Council policy or decision by Council’s committees or sub committees. These should be taken up with the appropriate councillor
- Insurance Claims
- Legal matters
- Outcomes of planning applications and planning enforcement although complaints will be considered about the application of the associated procedures
- Conduct of Elected Members – see Complaints Against Councillors above
- Statutory Social Work Complaints (i.e. those services provided under a statutory obligation) have their own separate policies (PDF) (439kb)
- Where a statutory right of appeal exists i.e. Planning refusal, exclusion of pupils from school, valuation appeals. The appropriate appeal procedure must be used in such instances rather than the complaints procedure.
The appropriate appeal procedure must be used in such instances rather than the complaints procedure
Complaints Analysis and Performance Indicators
- Complaints Handling Annual Report 2015-16 (PDF)
- Complaints Annual Report 2014-15 (PDF)
- 2013-14 Annual Complaints Report (PDF)
- Report – 2013: Complaints Analysis & Performance Indicators (PDF)
- Report – 2013: Complaints Analysis & Performance Indicators Appendix (PDF)
Performance on complaints is reported on a quarterly basis at a service level. Read more on our service performance page.
The Moray Council collects and stores personal information to carry out its legal functions. Where necessary it will share this information within and outside the council. Full details of our Data Protection policy and how we may use and share your information can be found on our Data Protection page.